My first cartoon epiphany of the 2nd Bush term. Came to me a week ago tomorrow. What's left right now (no pun intended) except satire? At least there will plenty of opportunities for that.
We see the same truculent-looking white guy looking out from each panel:
1) "People just don't feel safe any more..."
2) "We need a president who'll protect us!"
3) "Who'll do everything he can to keep my family secure..."
4) "From abortionists, same-sex marriage, and godless science!"
5) [A speech bubble with spiky borders emerges from behind his back, suggesting secret mind-controlling radio transmisson, with the words "and support a constitutional amendment giving Halliburton one third of everything'] "And support a constitutional amendment giving Halliburton one third of everything."
Maybe he should be smiling in the last panel? Or have a look of teary-eyed hope?
Any real comic would tell you that analysis kills the comedy, but my inner deconstructionist catches obvious echoes of Gary Trudeau and Jules Feiffer. Title courtesy of Walt Kelly of course.
Well, here is one New Yorker who knows who the enemy is: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/11/9/20524/0049